Sinus Doctor – Poetic Philosophy Podcast
Suffer from allergies? Nasal congestion? Sinus pressure in ears?
As a voice actor, this is something I can personally relate to – but it’s something that so many of us struggle with. For those of us in the voice industry, a sinus infection or lost voice can be a huge setback. (This is also why maintaining vocal health for singers and any other voice artists is so important.) And yet, you don’t have to be a voice actor to understand how frustrating and painful sinus problems can be.
In the latest episode of my Poetic Philosophy Podcast, I speak with acclaimed ENT doctor Dr. Naveen Bhandarkar, M.D. from UC Irvine Head & Neck Surgery Clinic. We discuss anatomy, diagnosis, treatments, children who suffer with sinus conditions, effects on vocal performance and so much more.
Dr. Naveen Bhandarkar is a board-certified ENT & sinus doctor, specializing in medical treatment of all disorders related to the nose and sinuses, as well as smell and taste disorders, nasal polyps removal, tumors and others.
This podcast episode is for all those that suffer from any nasal and sinus condition. Listen to it by playing the video above or through your favorite podcast player (Spotify ENT podcast, iTunes, Castbox, Stitcher, Libsyn).
Not just for voice actors
On a personal note – I have suffered from sinus polyps, nasal congestion and allergies my whole life. These are issues that affected me long before I became a voice actor, but I need to take them even more seriously now that they can have a direct impact on my work.
Through my journey of trying to understand health better, I’ve seen how easy it is to go down the wrong path. So I’ve made it a priority to take care of my health and fix these issues I have.
For overall health, there are some things I can do on my own, like eating better and exercising. But with other issues, like nasal polyps and sinus issues, I need the help of sinus doctors and surgeons who can provide the most effective treatment possible.
That’s what led me to my discussion with Dr. Bhandarkar, who has been my surgeon and sinus condition savior for the last few years.
Understanding sinus problems and treatment
In my conversation with Dr. Bhandarkar, I ask several questions to get a better understanding of the sinuses, with the hope of educating others who are dealing with these same issues and looking for solutions.
Here’s a preview of some of the issues we discuss on the podcast:
- What are the sinuses and how many do we have?
- What is a deviated septum? What role does it play in the health and wellness of sinus cavities and sinuses?
- What are turbinates and why do we even have them?
- What are sinus polyps? How are they different from other types of polyps or tumors?
- Does nutrition affect our sinuses?
- How do allergens like dust and pollen affect our sinuses (or our voices)?
- What role does genetics play in sinus issues or recurring sinus infections?
- What is a neti pot and how can it help treat sinus problems?
- Which sinus treatments work best?
- Are there sinus treatments for children? What should parents be on the lookout for?
- What can voice actors do to keep their sinuses healthy?
- What causes a sinus infection?
- Are steroids like prednisone effective for sinus infection treatment?
Where to learn more
I want to thank Dr. Bhandarkar for speaking with me and sharing this information with my audience. For more information about Dr. Bhandarkar or treatments for sinusitis and other sinus issues, visit https://naveenbhandarkarmd.com/.
PRO TIP: One of the best things a voice actor can do to maintain voice health (even if you have no other sinus issues) is to stay hydrated. Drinking water keeps your mucus thin, preventing your voice from becoming raspy.
Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube Page Here.
Checkout my YouTube Playlist Here!